Epiphany Sunrise & Yoga - A blog about my journey with Yoga.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

The 2012 Rundown




2012 is almost at an end and we are still here. No post-apocalyptic world chaos. 

But it was still a very interesting year for me. If I was to use one word to describe 2012 it would be 'transformational'. While every year is different from the year before or the one before that, 2012 was a year that I got to know myself better. Oh yes....I know....a person can say this about every year but this year was one to remember. An awakening happened deep inside of me. I dedicated time....real time...for myself and focus on creating space for my True Self to shine. 

Which is so much more than I had planned. Here is a recap of the goals I wanted to accomplish in 2012:





To do a backbend, a handstand and a headstand. Need a healthy spine.
  • Back bend was accomplished March 1st, 2012. Twice!
  • Head stand was accomplished May 9th, 2012.
  • Hand stands I'm still working on. 



To read at least 12 books. More would be better but let's start with 12.
  • I have read 6 books this year. Great improvement! 

To travel to Europe with my wonderful husband, Craig.
  • This almost happened. I had plans to purchase tickets in February and almost did it but held back. Then I almost purchased tickets another 2 or 3 times but held back. Good thing I did. Craig's mom died in the spring and it took a couple of months to get that all in order. Then Craig quit his job at Unisource in September. A decision that will change our lives for the next 2 years or so because he is back in school.

To participate in the Easter Seals Drop Zone in September.
  • I repelled 30 storeys down the Sun Life tower in downtown Calgary. Raised about $1900! This was one of the most terrifying experiences of my life. And one of the most rewarding. I faced a fear right in the eyes and won the staring contest.
To improve my cardio health.
  • I can say that I am healthier as I am now vegan. I'm still working to improve my cardio health.

To have a Mysore practice of at least 3 times a week.
  • This has been steady all year long and more often than not it is more like a 5 times a week practice. I will be continuing this in 2013.

To spend more time with my family.
  • I have been at home more in 2012. Giving up my volunteer role with the Alberta Regional Burning Man community has freed up so much time and reduced my stress load A LOT. We have had many adventures as a family and we will be continuing to do so in the new year. 

To complete at least one of my home reno projects.
  • This did not happen but I have 2 new half done projects that will be completed in the new year. Right Craig? hehe

To lose another 20 pounds.
  • My weight has been steady all year which is probably not a bad thing. There is still something going on with my thyroid that I have been actively trying to get figure out. Until then more weight loss will have to be put on hold.

There was one more event that was memorable this year.

Reference Point Therapy
In the early spring I had a therapy session with Ben Ralston over Skype. He lives in Slovenia so this was the only way to do it. I had stumbled across Reference Point Therapy about 2 years ago through one of his posts on Elephant Journal and was very interested in trying it out. It's not that I am really screwed up emotionally but I knew there was stuff that I needed to talk to someone about. I'm not convinced that conventional therapy would be a right fit for me. I didn't want to dwell on the past and talk about it for months or years. I just wanted to release these events and move on.
I had no idea what these events or restrictions were!
Well I was in for quite a surprise. This therapy session put me in bed for about six weeks. I was venerable and exposed. I felt like I had a new skin and I went into a protection mode. Don't get me wrong I wasn't crying in bed or wallowing in self grief. I was happy and felt like a new canvas that was ready for paint. I filled myself with love by listening to Ram Das lectures for 6 weeks. I wanted to be in control with what I filled these newly empty spaces in my consciousness. Ram Das did the trick!

Well there is a few highlights of 2012. Stay tuned for my 2013 goals........

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Fantastic year - so many things accomplished!!!