Epiphany Sunrise & Yoga - A blog about my journey with Yoga.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Vegan Experiment - Week Four

Week four of the vegan experiment I, once again, did not create a meal plan. This is great news! It is coming very natural to us to be vegan. We can think up meals on the spot.
As of August 22 (today), Craig and I will be 30 days vegan and we've decided to continue. No end date. Over the past 4 weeks I have been asked a few common questions about our decision and about what we eat. I have compiled the questions and my answers to them in this blog. (Craig's answers are not reflected)

Why did you want to try the vegan diet?
As some of you know, I am not an animal lover. I don't go gaga for puppies, dogs, little pet rodents or highly territorial cats. I don't want to see them hurt but I don't have to have a pet zoo in my house either. I have compassion for animals but that is not my motivation to be vegan.
I needed a healthier lifestyle that was more ongoing than a diet. I've done many diets! Once you stop the diet you gain back the weight. Just the way in goes in the temple of a body I have. I felt a vegan lifestyle change would help with my hormone intake too. I do have a sketchy thyroid and it may be because of my food choices. The vegan food choices I have made I feel have helped decrease my hormone intake and may help create balance in my body.

How do you feel?
I feel fantastic! I am cooking again and that makes me happy. I am lighter (about 9 pounds) and less tired. I feel emotionally balanced too. I don't get overwhelmed as easy. My skin looks amazing and feels soft.
What I don't feel is hungry!

What do you miss the most?
I miss cheese and mayo. Mayo makes me moan....sounds bad but it's true. When I see my sub artist put mayo on my sandwich I mouth the words 'I love you' to him or her.
And cheese.....oh cheese how I miss you so much! The creamy, stringy yumminess! I may have to cheat with some cheese soon so I know how sick it will make me. Then I may not miss it so much.

Is your son eating a vegan diet too?
My son Ivan is a very picky eater and has a eating routine. He is not vegan with us.  He does not like to try new things and veggies are something we have to sneak into his meal. He drinks his veggies. As you can see by the picture below, Ivan doesn't not like new experiences with food. He is trying a piece a watermelon and took the tiniest bite ever. Doesn't like it. So we pick our battles and let him be a picky eater. As long as he licks the something new or takes a tiny bite......then that is it. I don't want eating to be a bad memory.

So far I have eaten so many wonderful things. I made this Dilly Stew with Rosemary Dumplings the other night and it is the yummiest comfort food EVER!!!
Dilly Stew with Rosemary Dumplings

Here is the recipe from Post Punk Kitchen:

For the stew:
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 medium sized sweet onion (like Vidalia or Walla Walla), quartered and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups vegetable broth, at room temperature
2 stalks celery, tops removed, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 pounds potato, in 3/4 inch chunks (peel if they’re russets)
1 cup baby carrots (see note)
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
Fresh black pepper
1 15 oz can navy beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
For the dumplings:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoons dried rosemary, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or soy)
2 tablespoons olive oil
First we’re going to make a roux, but it has a little less fat than a traditional roux, which means it doesn’t get as goopy. If you’d like a more traditional roux, just add extra oil.
Preheat a large, heavy bottom pot over medium-low heat.
Add the oil and sprinkle in the flour. Use a wooden spatula to toss the flour in the oil, and stir pretty consistently for 3 to 4 minutes, until the flour is clumpy and toasty.
Add the onion and salt, and toss to coat the onions completely in the flour mixture. As the onions release moisture, they will coat more and more. Cook this way for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and stir for 30 more seconds or so.
Stream in the vegetable broth, whisking constantly to prevent clumping. Add the celery, potatoes, carrot, dill, thyme, paprika and black pepper, then turn the heat up and cover to bring to a boil. Keep a close eye and stir often, so that it doesn’t clump or boil over.
Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let cook uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stew is nicely thickened and the potatoes and carrots are tender.
In the meantime, prepare the dumplings.
Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the rosemary. Make a well in the center and add the milk and olive oil. Use a wooden spoon to mix together until a wet dough forms.
When the stew is ready, mix in the beans and plop dough right on top of the stew in spoonfuls. You should get about 14 dumplings. Cover the pot tightly and cook for about 14 more minutes. The dumplings should be nice and firm. Use your ladle to dunk them into the stew to coat.
Ladle stew into bowls, topped with dumplings. And serve!

And for dessert, vegan peanut butter cups from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.



1 comment:

Nicole said...

Great job! I will tell you this, since giving up dairy, I react almost immediately to dairy. I loved cheese so much, now if I have cheese my skin breaks out and I get stomach cramps. So unfair!