Epiphany Sunrise & Yoga - A blog about my journey with Yoga.

Monday, July 30, 2012

The Vegan Experiment - Week Two

Week one was at times very easy and other times was very painful. Both Craig and I were detoxing with symptoms like headaches, irritability, hard time sleeping and at the same time feeling tired. It reminded me a lot of when I quit smoking. By the end of the week we were feeling better. Don't get me wrong, we weren't felling sick 24 hours a day. There were just moments of these symptoms but when they were there it was intense.
This weeks menu was a bit intimidating because I had to plan for a camping trip this weekend. (I hope we get a site!) I scheduled in 2 snacks a day again but I found in week one that most times I didn't need to eat that much. I put them in again just in case.....getting hungry will be my downfall. I will drive far and wide to get comfort food!


The main meal is the Moroccan Couscous with Saffron. I found this recipe in Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet. An excellent book with many meal plans, recipes, info and great pictures. 




You may notice that I am eating lots of peanut butter. It's a comfort food for sure but the new Safeway line of products called Open Nature has a great peanut butter! There is only one ingredient: peanuts. Love it! So this week I decided to make a peanut butter, chocolate, oat muffin for our snacks. Looks filling and yummy. 


So far temptation to eat non vegan food has not plagued me. This morning when I walked into the Safeway they were baking cheese buns. The whole store smelled like melted cheese!!!! While it smelled really good I didn't feel tempted to eat them. I did linger in the bakery section to take the smell in. I feel this is a good sign. 
We did have some Gardein meatless burgers this weekend that were pretty good....I would eat them again. They were a bit dry but that just means I have to put more condiments on. I love condiments!!! More pickles would be good! Wish I could get my hands on the yummy vegan burger they have at Rebar in Victoria.

1 comment:

Reverend Craig said...

It has been tough a couple of times, but nothing too serious. Had a moment of weakness when I saw some fried chicken at the Safeway, but only a moment. The only withdrawal symptom I noticed was a couple of sleepless nights, but that fixed itself pretty fast.

Man, that couscous was fantastic. And those muffins - they're like cookies! ;) On to week 2!